I’m going to be focusing on strategies that have allowed me to increase productivity in every area of my life.
Let’s face it, we all want to be more productive in our activities in life.
I use to sit by the computer for hours and never really accomplish anything.
You’ve made an excellent decision to increase productivity in your life.
I tried to do multiple things at once, but that wasn’t the best way to go about things.
Let’s get right into how to be productive and increase your effectiveness in your life
1. Get rid of the cell phone while you are working.
This is crucial because you don’t want to get distracted with other people’s agendas. I had a hard time doing this, and sometimes still do but I’ve learned that I can get a lot more done and produce better results if I am not a slave to my cell phone. Put your cell phone on silent or do not disturb mode. You can even set up a schedule to where you return calls between a certain time. Here’s a good voice mail script you can do.
“Hi, you’ve reached Ryan. I check my voice mail between 11am and 12pm and then 5pm to 6pm. Leave a message. If it is urgent, please send me an email at email@example.com. Thanks for calling”
Now, see you’ve done 2 things here to increase productivity.
A. People know that you won’t pickup the phone during certain times.
Therefore, people will only know to call you during those times.
Now, all of your phone calls will happen at that time
B. You are keeping focused and only concerning yourself with the phone at a certain time.
This allows you to get done the things you need to get done.
2. Turn off email notifications. You don’t want your email program constantly going off. If you are like me, you probably receive hundreds of emails a day. You would never get anything done if you were always responding to these emails.
Be very specific about when you are going to check your email. I learned this concept from a book called the 4 hour work week. Grasping this ONE concept alone will increase productivity by 1000% You never want to be at the beck and call of anyone.
3. Work in 2 hour blocks. Here’s how you do this and become super effective with your work. You get CLEAR on what you want to accomplish in the hour and a half. You decide that you are going to accomplish this task in that time frame.
If you are working a major project, set a milestone to accomplish during the time. You don’t need any distractions. According to some studies, it takes over 20 minutes to get re-focused on the task at hand once you are distracted. I do believe it too. For the other 30 minutes, you need to take a break and do something not related to the project at all.
4. Get off Facebook! Facebook has got to be one of the biggest distractions on accomplishing anything. Learn to limit your Facebook time while you are working on projects. It”s just the same as the cell phone or email.
I have to learn when I am working on big projects to turn off all social media. Once you decide to focus on a project, it seems that you can get the task done a lot faster and increase productivity.
5. Begin with the end in mind. You need to set your intention on what it is that you are doing. For instance, you might say I want to figure out how to make your advertising more effective for your business. You decide that for the hour an a half you work that you are going to do market research. Your intention here for trying to make your advertising more effective is so that you can save money and invest more into the company to make more jobs for people. When you decided to make the advertising more effective, the intention for doing that was to make more jobs for people. Get it now? This type of “outside-the-box” thinking is what separates the masses from the classes.
6. Listen to music without words. If you are doing something where you don’t have to speak, you can usually play some sort of upbeat music that will help increase your energy! As I am typing this blog post right now, I have some incredible house music playing to help my energy!
It’s amazing at how many different strategies you can use to increase productivity.
Thanks for reading!